ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 13:52:20 -0400
"I just wanted to keep it old school. You know, keep it real like the
Peter Ferraro days." --Black Bear forward Brendan Walsh when asked on
his celebration tactics following his first career goal in a Maine
uniform. Like golfer Chi-Chi Rodriguez with his club, Walsh tucked his
stick away like a discharged firearm.

The University of Maine athletics' scene needs more Brendan Walsh's.
Last year, we had Maine wide receiver Rameek Wright, whose flamboyancy
was unparalled to anyone I have ever interviewed. I remember
interviewing him prior to Maine's flight to VIllanova last year when
the Black Bears were 2-0 to start the year and he said. "We're going
undefeated. We're taking Nova out and we're going all the way."

Maine lost 34-14 to the eventual A-10 champs and Wright was a ghost on
the scoring charts. The point, though, was that Meek kept it real.
There are a lot of guys on the this year's team, including Walsh, that
are just a breath of fresh air.