ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 12:43:58 -0500
I haven't seen any comments on this list about the new foghorn at the
Alfond that was used for the first time during the JC Penney Classic. I
asked several people from different parts of the rink about the fan
noise, band location / noise level and the new horn. To a person all I
heard was positive.
The noise was the best in ages. I am very proud of the students that
stayed through to the end of each Maine game. Their cheers were
continuous, loud and at times very humorous. To that fact; for the last
full minute of the game the student section started to jingle their car
keys. I loved it! Maybe we can make that a tradition. It is more
imaginative that yelling "warm up the bus" over and over.
The band does a great job keeping the noise level up and helping to
maintain the fever-pitch. My only suggestion to them would be that they
must play (either the Maine Fight song or the Stein Song) as soon as an
opponent scores. Don't let the visitors be heard.
I heard very positive comments about the foghorn. After the first
tentative blast it got better and better. I would like to hear it blown
as a sign of each goal UMaine scores. So, after they score their first
goal it is sounded once, after the second goal it is sounded twice and
so forth.
Overall, a great weekend of Maine Hockey!