ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:16:05 EST
>Here is one classy Coach ...

I'll add that he must not only be a classy coach, but a very good one!

On the down side, my Canadian French wasn't good enough to hold a
conversation with any of the few Moncton players I tried to talk with.

He brought an unheralded Moncton team to the Alfond where Canadian teams
have something of a tradition of, ah, ...  not being invited back.

U Moncton was a very good team and enjoyable to watch!  The refereeing
crew probably helped this by not calling "holding the stick" and by
never letting emotions get out of hand.

I would describe what I thought Moncton did, that other Atlantic
Maritime teams haven't been able to do, but this would be from the
perspective of someone that noticed a bus in the Alfond parking lot
early Friday afternoon (labeled "Brown Coach") and wondered if Brown
University had replaced Union College in the tournament ...  and that
isn't it funny that Ivy League coaches have their own bus?  :-)

Cheers, too, for JC Penney that obviously supported their tournament
well.  I especially liked that all attendees could get 20% off at the
Bangor Mall store by showing their ticket, yet it was announced so
infrequently, that many people probably missed the promotion.

wayne