ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 16:58:52 EDT

>Now if someone could find about $100 per game, wouldn't it be great to
>get the audio of Maine games on the net?  $100 per game is my estimate
>of the cost.  Convincing WZON and/or UMaine to actually do it might be
>another thing.

Actually, AudioNet is in the FMH budget for the season, but we haven't gotten
the okay to do the deal yet.  (The financial folks have been kind of
overwhelmed so I am trying to be patient!)  Maine is the what #3 in the nation
team right now, and MOST of our league has it already.  AudioNet would be an
excellent part of a great program!  As soon as we get cleared, we will get
that going!  Bob Thomas has gathered the info, so it will just be a quick
thing once the final okey dokey to proceed is spoken!

Wayne's comments about the ticket situation are absolutely correct!  I would
love to be able to get all the folks who love Maine Hockey in to all the
games, but space is soooo tight.  (I wonder about the fire marshal's
restrictions on standing room, which used to be the province of the non season
ticket holding public.  With all the doors, it seems a tad restrictive, but I
am certainly NOT expert in that field!)  I also heartily agree with Bob's
suggestion, although one hour might not be enough time for the true Maine
Hockey fanatic to make the drive from Kittery!

Yes, the University of Maine has an obligation to it's tax paying public.  How
about that same tax paying population FUNDING the University of Maine (Not
Super U- the University of Maine!) so it doesn't have to use the almighty
dollar as a large part of any service equation?  Right now the Athletic
Department gets over 50%, (56% I think...) of it's funding from DONATIONS,
groups like the Friends of Maine Hockey, individuals who give to the sports
they love to watch, which WOULD NOT EXIST if it weren't for these generous
people, some of whom give less than $100 a year.  You get enough of the
$10-$99 folks together, that can add up a lot!  But that is another topic....

Jack & I have thought about a program which gets the season ticket holders who
are not going to use tickets for some game (like they are going on vacation)
to donate them to the FMH, which would contact a list of folks who have
expressed an interest in attending, and who don't have tickets, who would pay
face value for the tickets, which dollars would go to the program.  Alas we
have not been able to concoct a plan which is feasible, and NOT labor
intensive.  (That idea waits out there with the many others the FMH doesn't
have manpower for!)  Jack thought this might be a great way for the empty
seats to be filled with folks who want to get in to a game, plus give a little
much needed revenue to the program.

Anyway, that's for the future.  I hope the students do take advantage of this
opportunity to fill the house!

Orono to Anaheim!
Cathy Hart
Proud Volunteer for the Finest College Hockey Program in the Nation!