ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Clair Chesley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:53:45 -0400
     The policy with Hockey tickets is much more disturbing than I first
     thought.

     I called the Ticket Office again this AM and talked to Janet.  I asked
     her questions about ticket availability to the general public.  Here
     are her answers:

        There are only about 1,500 total seats in the whole arena available
     to students and the general public combined.  The other 3,800-3,900
     seats are reserved for season ticket holders, donors, team players,
     and visiting schools.  The 1,500 seats are all actually student seats.
     The only reason that there are (or were) seats available to the
     general public (including alum's) was that the students didn't pick
     them up ( or sign-up for them?), and those remaining were then made
     available to the general public. (And as has been said here already:
     For the first four home games this year all 1,500 seats are reserved
     for students and will be empty if the students don't use them. Janet
     confirmed that as well.)

        What is disturbing is that if 1,500 students decide to go to the
     games this year or if the ticket office decides to continue to hold
     them only for students, there will be no seats available to the
     general public.  The only options would then be to attempt to get a
     ticket from a player or from a visiting school, either from the school
     or from the UMO ticket office if any are returned by visiting schools.
      I wouldn't look for very many to come back from BU, UNH, etc..

        I do not begrudge the students their 1,500 seats at all.  What does
     disturb me greatly is that if the University is successful in getting
     the students to fill up the 1,500 student seats, there will be NO
     seats available to the general public,  and the only way to be sure of
     being a continuing fan (which my son and I have been) and attending
     games, is to become a donor or to buy season tickets.

        I can't afford season tickets.  I can't afford to be a donor at the
     level that I get seats.

        It is my opinion that it is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, for The University
     of Maine, a Maine Taxpayer supported institution, to limit access to
     the select few that can afford the big bucks for season tickets.  Some
     of those 4,000 seats need to be made available to the general public
     on a permanent basis.

        AND, there should NEVER be an empty seat in that arena when there
     is someone who wants to go.