ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:12:30 -0400
[log in to unmask],NNTP writes:
>I would like to hear some fan comments about the new student seating
>arrangement and the new location of the band in the balcony. Are you
>happy with the University's lastest change?

>Personally, I am happy to see the students move to balcony, but not
>happy with the move of the band. My seats are right below the band and I
>am very concerned about the noise level that my toddler son will have to
>deal with.

I am very happy with the change because I feel it was necessary.

First, let me say that I hope it is not so loud that it bothers your
son and secondly that it is hard to give a 100 percent accurate
assessment since there has not been a real game yet to see how many
students show up and how loud they actually are.

I don't have my research materials with me, so I cannot give you exact
numbers, however there is a direct correlation to Maine being dominant
at home (and also a national power) and Alfond Arena being an
intimidating road trip.

I had someone from another school last year tell me, "You know, this is
a long drive, but we aren't scared to come up here anymore."  There was
a streak where Maine went well over a season or longer during the great
days where they simply didn't lose a home game (again, I can provide
the numbers later if needed, but trust me!  :-)

The potential is there for this being an awful uncomfortable road trip.
 Most of the teams Maine plays are not used to traveling such a great
distance.  What makes such a long trip more uncomfortable is if you
know you are going into the Bear's Den, where things will be noisy,
intense and uncomfortable for you as an opposing player... and you know
this before you even think about playing the game.

Since winning the title in 1993, the type of atmosphere created in
Alfond has changed and student support has erroded.  Does the "Blue
Line Club" even exist anymore?  Joe Roberts post indicates a group
called "Mainiacs", this is new.  Maybe Joe can post more info on that,
but the point is student support has gone down the tubes in recent
years.

Why?  Well, there are probably many reasons.  Part of it is the raising
of the roof, but let's start with the fact that despite the fact that
people recognized the student importance to the atmosphere and people
like Shawn Walsh tried very hard to bring students out, things were
made as difficult as possible for students.  For starters, the ticket
distribution policies required students to pick up tickets (in some
years) weeks in advance, but even in the best of times, students had to
find time on Monday or Tuesday to go down and pick up tickets, or wait
in the cold at 6 p.m. before games.  Even then, you could only get 4
tickets at a time and the students were systematically spread
throughout the arena lessening their impact.

The new policy is wonderful, and whoever came up with this deserves
credit, it's good.  Students now go to Alfond, get a sticker on their
Maine card, and they can just walk into the games and be GIVEN a ticket
at the GATE.  So now, if a whole dorm or fraternity wants to go and sit
together, they can.  It may take some time to catch on, but this policy
will really bring students out I think.

Maine has many great season ticket holders, but having a large, vocal
student section right on top of the opposing goaltender for the first
period and the more crucial third period is an invaluable home-ice
advantage.  For those that listened to the games at all this weekend,
did you notice how even Nebraska-Omaha responded when their crowd would
get into the game?  It can mean a goal a game, or more at times.

Now, the band is louder in the balcony.  No question.  It will be
louder pretty much wherever you are sitting, except where the band used
to be!  :-)  The band needs to be in the student section.  The band and
the students need to have a coordinated effort.  Right now, Maine has a
good pep band that plays well, but they get very little for crowd
participation with exception to the Stein Song and possibly the "Hey
Buddy You are Outta Here" chant.  If you are going to have a band, it
has to engage the crowd and the best way to start that is with the
students.  It builds tradition.

It will be loud in the balcony, it will be loud below the balcony, but
most importantly it will be loud in Alfond Arena, which is good for
Maine hockey and that is how Maine begins to re-establish its dominance
at home.

-dt

--
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]