ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 06:22:26 EST
First of all, I think this is a team issue, and should first be decided by the
team for their own good.  THEY are the one's most intimately affected by this.
Only they know ALL the nuances of his return.

However, since you asked for opinions, (and I always enjoy the invitation,
Thank you!):

On the one hand, I hope he does not come back here.  This season, we have seen
the beginning of a rediscovered pride on the team, something which has been
missing in the past few years, signalling the return of the real Maine Hockey
spirit.  This spirit is still fragile and the team does not need any negative
crap going on in the periphery, with all that racial bigot stuff re- surfacing
once again.  There are enough people out there who delight in re- gurgitating
the past without this to slap the program with.  Personally, I wouldn't want
to face the signs, postings and verbal abuse from the fans of other schools of
having someone on the team who, however innocent he may be, is identified with
anything other than the highest ideals of student athletes.

On the other hand, I think he was handed a raw deal by the University, who's
policies are in direct opposition to the right of an individual to be
considered innocent until proven guilty.  As far as I can find out, he was
never found to be there at the time of the incident, and in fact had a witness
who placed him elsewhere.  I also dislike the appearance of caving in to the
politically correct minority who will start yapping about this situation or,
if in a position to make decisions, reacting TO this situation, placing
popular opinion once again above the rights of the individual, and making a
mockery of this basic pillar of our nation.

Also, it should be noted that Mr. Mansoff's WANTING to return does not mean
his college (for his major, not the University) will allow him to come back,
or that his team / program will allow his return to the ice.  While I never
had much contact with him, beyond a "Here is a Sharpie marker to sign
autographs with" type of communication, I understand he was liked when he was
here.  However, he will be a constant reminder of a past the Maine Hockey
community has dealt with once already.  Do we really want to revisit it?  Has
Mr. Mansoff thought about the impact of his return on Maine Hockey?

As you can see, I am most glad to NOT be in a position to determine this one,
folks!

As a final note, I think this is a team issue, and should first be decided by
the team for their own good.  THEY are the one's most intimately affected by
this.  Only they know ALL the nuances of his return!

Cathy Hart