From:
Debbie Meservey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debbie Meservey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2014 15:02:20 -0500
Did you know that Ellen Potter, author of Olivia Kidney and Humming Room
and Kneebone Boy and Slob and Spilling Ink lives in Castine, Maine now? We
had her here at Camden-Rockport Elementary School for a visit with our
fourth graders, and her presentation was fantastic! She kept 80 fourth
graders who weren't necessarily in the most comfortable seats totally
engaged for over an hour! She brought her "Writer's Toolbox" - which is a
literal tool box, and kept pulling items out one by one, and each item
representated a tool that an author needs to write a good story. She also
shared how she got the ideas for some of her books and some of her
characters over the years.

Later in the day she did a writer's workshop on building suspense and
sustaining interest with smaller groups, which was also incredibly well
received.

I highly recommend Ellen as a visiting author for your middle-level
readers.

“As a child, my number one best friend was the librarian in my grade
school. I actually believed all those books belonged to her.” -Erma
Bombeck

Debbie Meservey, Librarian
Camden-Rockport Elementary School
11 Children's Way