EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:14:47 +0200
Responding to David Griffith:

Just to give you an update on Canto LXXV, my quest for the first phrase
in Munch's handwriting above the music offered 1)Selassi, 2)Salassi
(yours), 3)Salieri and 4) a question for an interpretation of the
meaning of "Sidelights".
Ron Bush, who was at the Rome Conference, told me that Pound's
typescripts of the 'Pisans' were given by Dorothy to Harvard and that
Harvard had subsequently "misplaced" them! (an enormous problem for his
book on the Pisans which has been 'in progress' for so long!). As a
result no current scholar has seen the unreduced p.470 and the
uncertainty of a number of Munch's written words remains.

Having checked out the above offerings sent to me the most fecund is
yours. The problem is that so little is known of the Salassi. Strabo is
sketchy. The best clue is Pound's mind. Given that Pound states in
Townsman 1.1 that the the birds emerge out of "...god knows what 'hidden
antiquity'" I think we are pointed toward in the direction of the
Salassi, with connections yet to be made toward their gold, agriculture
and an EP's attitude towards the Romans.

If you or others have any comments on the above I'd welcome hearing them.
Bob Hughes