EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Francis P. Gavin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:53:00 -0700
Lewis' essay on Hemingway (The Dumb Ox) was the reason why he got such an
exceptionally harsh treatment in Moveable Feast -- even though it was not a
complete put-down Hemingway interpreted it as such and cut Lewis out of his
circle. Up until that time they had been on reasonably friendly terms. Read
Blasting and Bombardiering -- Lewis' account of his early years--you'll see
that the incident in which he describes meeting Hemingway for the first time
while Hemingway and Pound are sparring--was Hemingway's singular source for
describing Lewis in A Moveable Feast.

Lewis' account is fairly neutral--having been written in the 30s -- Hemingway
waited until after Lewis was dead to rewrite the account from his own point of
view in which he describes Lewis as "nasty". You will note that without
exception, everyone Hemingway condemns in his book about Paris is a) depicted
almost cartoonishly b) dead.

Those few who aren't remain cartoonish, thinly disguised and nameless. The
prose in the book is immaculate--perhaps one of the most beautiful of his
books and certainly one of the best of the 20th cent. But it is a fiction.

GAVIN