EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:22:18 -0500
From:
Alphaville Books <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
<shallow, dogmatic, and combative.>

Well, these are certainly words I've heard used to describe Pound. So

<He seems to think he's Ezra Pound incarnate. Can it be true?> Perhaps
it is. Especially when its apparent someone's assessment is based on
nothing more than bruised feelings.

Ad hominem attacks don't mean much to me because most people if (and
this is rare) get but a glimmer of my true subject matter they bristle
and hate fills their being and presumably colors their judgment of the art.

They also bristle at the "ecumenism of sources," the erudition and the
leaps of thought. They think I'm trying to show off and let me know in
no uncertain terms that they hope my poetry never becomes popular.

One guy told me he'd rather kill himself than see my work gain a wide
audience. What a compliment!

They also don't like Pound for the same reasons plus the obvious e.g.
his fascism and anti-semitism. I catch a lot of collateral damage as
well as immediate dismissal from that.

The only place I can read with a positive audience in DC right now is
open mike nights at Busboys and Poets on 16th St. Its really
a Spoken Word and hip-hop venue and I'm usually the only white male
reading.  I guess the combination of looking and sounding like such an
odd duck (like a ex-tunnel rat that eats at Arby's) and my radical
politics stuns the large audience into acceptance. I also have a booming
voice and my colorful vocabulary is culled from the Johnson and Nixon
presidential transcripts.

At my initial reading I broke the ice with a story about another reading
where I caused a riot. I told the Busboys and Poets audience that though
I admit to being guilty of causing some fisticuffs and articles being
hurled, there were mitigating circumstances. The first was that I simply
opened with a long poem that began with a quote from Diogenes of Sinope,
the Dog. The quote is  "The only place to spit in a rich man's house is
in his face."  I said the second mitigating circumstance was that I read
the poem in Bethesda, a pseudo-wealthy white enclave in Maryland. I
found it comforting that the good people of Bethesda would physically
defend their right to participate as low level functionaries in fucking
up the world.

Busboys and Poets' Langston Hughes room has a triptych along the wall
behind the stage with images of Martin Luther King, Gandhi and the Dalai
Lama. I bring a substitute triptych with heroes more to my taste and set
it up onstage--Mao, Malcolm X and Fidel Caatro. That's a fuckin' crowd
pleaser too. No lie. KR CP

KR, CP

P.S. DC is a madhouse, no doubt. I call it Satan's Anus.