EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Stephan Chodorov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 08:07:18 EDT
Over the years I have seen several definitions of the word "paideuma" -- by
Pound contemporaries (eg Yeats) or by later academics (eg Ackroyd).
These are always very short, very similar, and to my mind not a little
enigmatic. Has anyone dug deeper and explored this word, its roots, ways in
which EP himself used it, whether other writers have ever used it? Did other
students of Frobenius recognize it?  How would you explain it simply and
accurately to, say, the eighth grade?
Stephan Chodorov