EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 00:29:05 -0400
7bit
From:
Joseph Conte <[log in to unmask]>
Jon:

I'm no authority on visits to Brunnenberg, but I did stop there for a day in
1992.  Mary de Rachelwitz (Pound's daughter; it's really her schloss, not
Ezra's) wrote to tell me that I was welcome to come by at any time.  The
location seems to be something of an artist's colony, and you can treat
yourself during the day to a self-guided tour of the grounds.  There was a
nice collection of Pound memorabilia there, including some of EP's
library--though not, as Mary reminded me, _his_ papers, which are mostly at
Yale.

You'll have a spectacular view of the Sud-Tirol Alps from the grounds.  The
castle's not far from Merano and Bolzano, off the road from Venice to
Innsbruck (sorry, don't have my AAA map of Italy handy).  Italian is spoken,
but most of the local residents are really of Austrian descent, since the
area was part of Austria until just after WWI (see Hem's Farewell to Arms).

Frankly, even if you didn't know who EP was, it's a beautiful area to
visit--there were quite a few Euro-tourists staying nearby taking the spa
cures.  Have a great trip!

Joseph Conte