EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
William Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:56:31 -0500
What I find most striking about Hemingway's portrayal of Pound in A
Moveable Feast is that pound is about the only person whom Hemingway
does not stab in the back. Hemingway paints humiliating portraits of
Stein, Ford, and Fitzgerald (each of whom probably did more directly
to help his career than Pound), but there is little nastiness toward
Pound, which I attribute (without much direct evidence) to respect
for Pound's unceasing efforts in the teens and twenties on behalf of
other writers.

Did Pound publish anything on Hemingway? Nothing much springs to my mind.

And while we're talking about Hemingway and savagery, Wyndham Lewis's
essay "The Dumb Ox" is an interesting critique of Hemingway's work.
Though laced with Lewis's own brand of vitriol (and inspired, I
think, by personal animosity toward Stein), it provides an intriguing
counter-reading of the "Hemingway hero" as a valorization of
impotence. Might be worth a look.

Cheers,

Bill

--