EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
bob scheetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 22:53:33 -0500
Tim,
     "sister death" is a euphemisizing form (like eumenides);
the anti-thesis of morbid sexuality.  Post-lapsarian existentiality was the
same for medieval as it is for post-freudian man (i.e., even outside the
thrall of a religion of a castrating father god); his abiding cardinal
dilemma is love & death.   Everyman leads a life of quiet desparation on
each of those heads.  And only the fool is unafraid; doesn't feel  the
impulsion to hysteria always hot on the neck.

As was obligatory for all medieval christian teaching,  Francis' canticle
addresses this binary bogey, but, unlike the hysterics (st paul or hamlet),
resolves it on an affirmative plane, an expression of faith in the ultimate
meaning of...moon, stars, earth, water, critters...life/death, an ode to
joy.

bob