EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 07:50:09 -0500
Bob,
As for the St Francis allusion: the latent fear expressed in the cantico
with respect to concupiscent appetite (evident in the emphasis on female
purity and in the metaphorical equation of death with a woman's embrace)
stands, I think, as an analogue to the neurotic puritanical psychology of
the poem's speaker rather than as an expression of archetypal grandness.  If
the recognition of human mortality were driving the saint into a sea of
women I'd agree with your reading. But what we find in the cantico is
asceticism, not the quenched brand of Meleager.
Tim