EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
bob scheetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:04:12 -0500
tim,
     yer advancing a number of notions which i find rather difficult:

1.) cantico del sole = manifestation of sexual hysteria:
from the one line "woe to those that die in mutual transgression".
...granted that eros is everywhere, and always problematic ( dialectical),
i don't find the image of the pure/chaste "sister water" to be morbid.
yours about the death-wish sensibility, contemptu mundi, of medieval
religiosity is certainly true, but it is precisely st francis, giotto & co
(12th cent renaissance, no?) and especially with the cantico, that strike
the antithetical chord, celebration of the flesh, nso on.
     doubtless st fancis was oedipal, mama's boy; but, isn't it just as
clear his career is a classic of successful
sublimation/maturation/creativity/aufhebung? ie he's a "hero" of the civ.
hasn't his cantico del sole always been percieved (and not naively) as the
epitome of psycho-salubrity?
anyway, it's been 30 yrs at least (much too long), what does freud say here?

2. the simeon mythos and the eliot poem, and thence the learned hand
persona's nocturnal prayer,  express the piety of self-emasculation in
abjection before the great castrating/circumcising oedipal  jewish god.
but...luke's and eliot's and pound's explicitly situate their fears in
non-subjective dispensations of evil, the spiritual desolation of
roman/bourgeois-lib hegemony;
your insistance that this is merely the classic subtrafuge of projection
fails to reckon with all the evidence and analysis, marx to jameson, of the
objective existence of this evil.

fer simeon, eliot, hand, & pound "the word" is salvation, no?
as, for all of them it is elitist...adults only, no?
so how comes it you totally discount the literal signification
of the poem?...the objective abomination of desolation that "the word" has
been turned to in the western culture industry?... arriving say to andres
serrano's "piss christ", and the recent brooklyn museum "shit madonna"?
isn't this enuf by itself (totally absent any sexual hysteria)
to trouble sleep?

bob