EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
R I Caddel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
R I Caddel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:18:01 +0100
OK, half-against my better judgement, let's try another tack:

sojourners wrote:

> Does this fascination with the self-absorbed, convoluted, and
> overly-pedantic rantings of a virtual moral dwarf--albeit an
> intellectually-gifted one--embarrass no one?

Sojourners, your three-liner seems intended as a deadly put-down of all
Pound's life and work, and all who are in any way interested in him, in
one blow, yes? As you'll know if you've scanned the archive of this list,
or followed it at all with any sincerity, there's been quite a lot of
discussion which has been critical of Pound over the years - rather more
articulate than yours, to be sure, but stuff which you should be able to
relate to, unless you're just mouthing off. I've no idea to what extent
you've read Pound in any depth - maybe you were forced to study him at an
early age, maybe you just tried it in a bookstore and found it too hard
for you - you wouldn't be the first in either case - but tell me: what's
your considered and informed reading, coming where it does in the man's
work, of the part-line:

-
And that the truth is in kindness.
-

I think what got up the noses of various listmembers - myself included -
was your rudeness in dropping your unsigned calling card on us three
times. So - we were just saying we wanted to talk directly and
specifically about Pound's poetry, when you chanced by...

Richard Caddel
Durham UK