EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Brennen Lukas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 21:26:39 -0500
Desired friends,

My interaction with this group has not gone as I would have liked. This
unhappy situation is certainly my own fault, as I am a novice writer,
equipped with only limited intelligence and education. It was wrong of me to
ask questions and offer my opinions on matters clearly beyond my grasp.
Likewise, I was too confident and self-assured in my diction, rudimentary
though it is.  Sadly my poor command of the English language left a smug
aftertaste in many of your refined palates. For this, I can only say: I'm
sorry.

Furthermore, I am ashamed of my jingoist blithering. Last night I wept
openly as so many of you made clear that my soul is corrupted by an
unnatural urge to question the efficacy of pacifism in world affairs. Even
now, I ponder self-flagellation. If only painful lashes across my back would
rid me of my cancerous respect for democracy, free speech, and worst of all,
free enterprise. Alas, I fear I am beyond repair, quite unworthy of cleaning
Ezra Pound's sanatorium bedpan, let along posting to a list serve dedicated
to his work.

If it were possible, I would invite all of you to my humble condo in
northern Virginia for tea and homemade cookies. My wife is a wonderful baker
and I know she'd be delighted to meet you. Every day she thanks you for
putting me in my place intellectually. Just think, I could toss a fake log
on the fire, open up a few bottles of wine from Safeway, and we'd all drink,
laugh and play Scrabble and Boggle till dawn. But it is only a dream.
My bad opinions have made all of you hate me and wish for my disappearance.

I'll die knowing that I'll never live up to the elitist ideal of Mr. Pound,
clear thinker of his age. It'll be the cold, melancholy death of the hoi
polloi, the huddled uncomprehending masses who can't see the bliss of
heaven, for they are blind and made of lesser stuff than thee.

In mild deference,
Brennen Lukas
http://members.cox.net/blukas/frames_index.html