EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"N. Scott Reynolds" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 17:59:22 -0000
Dear Sir,
About approaches to literature in the American Grad school attended we are
given a sizable selection of critical methods starting with Wilfred L.
Guerin's, et al. Handbook of Critical Approaches to Literature. This
handbook starts soon with the Historical-Biographical, then the
Moral-Philosophical, to the text and genre, then after several sections of
relevant examples, Huck Finn, Young Goodman Brown, Hamlet, and Marvell's "To
his Coy Mistress," moving on to the Formalist Approach, the psychological
Approach, Mythological and Archetypal Approaches, then Feminist Approaches,
Structuralism and Poststructuralist, and wind it up in this 2 hour course,
supplemented by The Art of Literary Research, with Aristotelian (with the
Chicago school) Genre crit, the history of ideas, linguistics and lit.,
stylistics, rhetorical, phenomenological (the crit of consciousness,
genetic, hermeneutics, dialogics, Marxist, new historicism, and
reader-response. The majority to be assimilated by mid-term. Of course, the
University is not considered a liberal arts uni, but rather a comprehensive.
They frankly kick or butts with the usual in the face criticism of all your
mental and intellectual flaws constantly, but that is besides the point,
which I just wanted you to see the curriculum and that which is represented.
My apologies for such long-windedness. I merely thought you might be
interested.
Scott Reynolds