ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 08:33:00 EST
In a message dated 2-7-98, 9:35:55 AM, Vicki Price wrote

<, more than the opinions of Dave Hendrickson....

GOT ME DAVE!       On this one we really do agree 100%!

In a message dated  2-8-98, 12:13:46 AM, Dave Hendrickson wrote

>,but I would have to say that the typical bill for a kid playing super-
serious hockey (the only kind to get him to D-1) is several thousand dollars
at least. My best guess would be about $5,000. a year if a kid plays year
round, but that could vary.

I believe Dave also has a son in hockey and is very involved with that aspect
of the sport. So he knows! I picked up my family of two (Jason and I) lock ,
stock and barrel and moved us to Minnesota FOR HOCKEY. Because I could no
longer afford LA and the exorbitant costs of playing and the hours on the road
getting him from one rink to the next. With no promises attached, we became
road warriors from the age of eight on. That's lots of gas mileage, hotel
rooms, hockey lessons, all on the credit card.

>but any parent who goes to the rink with his or her calculator in tow,
tapping in the eventual payoff in dollars, is an idiot.

Right Dave! (-: I'm still an idiot (me for saying no limit) and I've had that
calculator in tow the last several years, attempting to pay off enough credit
card debt to keep afloat financially. Cause, I know Jase is not going to pay
me back in installments! (-:

> P.S. And the rate of concussions is getting mighty scary at all levels.

This is the really scary part to me! As, I'm sure others of you, especially
those of you who have children playing the game would agree. We need to
exercise what little power we have to change the way the game is played at
upper levels of the sport. This means when they start checking, from pee-wee
up. For those of you who haven't had a kid go through the sport, many drop out
at pee-wee because they can't handle the physical aspect. Those who advance on
do so with the risk of annual, seasonal injuries. I have three health
insurance policies. Ask me what those cost me a year!? (-:

P.S. Dave, how's the SLOB-MOBILE!? (-:

VIcki