ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 21:48:25 -0500
Cathy Hart wrote re: NH game:

> I have also heard from many folks that the officiating was again, very
>uneven.  This seems to be a real problem for all Hockey East teams.
>
>I don't want to, and will not get into a debate about semantics on this, so
>all you picky people, please try to read this as I intend it, and not pick it
>apart!

I was there, also, as you all know, and officiating was NOT a factor in any
game, at least as we would see it from a Maine perspective.  If anything,
in the game against Vermont, the calls went more in favor of Maine.

And referee Doiron in the NH game exercised great control over the game
after the Mowers hit, keeping it from what easily could have been a
disaster.  He showed great restraint when Wansborough took verbal issue
with some of the calls late in the second period, we know, we saw the
exchange from four rows back of the Maine penalty box.

I'm not a shy critic of referees, most notably when McBride had it in for
Maine every night and earned my moniker as "McBlind".  Hey, if you want
referee criticism, look on HOCKEY-L to see what is being said about Shegos
after last weekend.

Referee calls should be the least of our concerns in the wake of the NH
game, but I would advise that we just set it aside, and not overly dwell
upon it at least until the next meeting with the team.

Dan Doucette
UMaine 78 MPA 80

*** Beers may now be in the booth, but Jean-Yves Roy ***
***    should be kept with the big club in Boston    ***