ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Chris Heisenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 20:42:47 -0500
From:  [log in to unmask]

Note how he says Walsh bad mouths other schools, totally ignoring how
Maine gets bad-mouthed.  Every player I've talked to who has come to
Maine the last couple years says Maine was bad-mouthed by other
schools. It goes back to what Mike said about glass houses.

Here is the forwarded message from [log in to unmask] --
---
I certainly acknowledge -- as I did in my original post -- that such
hits
take place more than they should, and certainly are not limited to the
U.Maine program.  Therefore, don't mean to indict the entire Maine
team, as
it might have seemed.  My post covered two topics 1) the hit on Mowers
was a
cheap hit, which was borne out by the fact that Guite got a five minute
major.  In addition to the hit being from behind, it was also away from
the
puck -- thus my calling it a "cheap shot".  My second point, which may
not
have been developed as much -- in part because I did not want to get
into my
whole take on the Shawn Walsh issue -- is that Walsh does play it
agressively
and close to the line.  My examples related to eligibility issues
(Taking
students who flunked out elsewhere -- Mike Golden, Tom McComb, playing
students who were declared academically inelligible by the NCAA like
Jeff
Tory), dishonesty issues (a less than truthful approach to the NCAA
investigators, a  questionable response to the circumstances in which he
learned that Tory was inelligible), and sportsmanship (reportedly
violating
the unwritten coaches code against bad-mouthing other schools during the
recruiting process).  In each situation, Walsh played it close to the
line, a
la Jerry Tarkanian or Tom Osborne.  Perhaps it was unfair for me to link
these traits to the on-ice discipline of his teams -- particularly
juxtaposed
to the potentially serious nature of Mowers' injury -- and I will admit
that
I have not seen many of the Maine games recently.  I merely hoped to
allude
to the latter issues in response to the earlier pro-Walsh posts, which
seemed
to slough-off these character issues because they did not relate to the
on-ice play.

Comments: Gated by [log in to unmask]