ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
John W Duffill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 16:46:27 -0500
Chris Heisenberg wrote:

> Well, the cheap-shot argument has now moved to HOCKEY-L where yet
> another UNH fan blindly throws accusations around.
>
> Message originally from:  [log in to unmask]
> Reply to both [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]
>
> -- start of forward --
>
> I also was in attendance at the UNH-Maine game, and would concur that
> the
> Mowers injury was the scariest moment I'd ever witnessed.  The Maine
> cheap-shot by Ben Guite (remember Reg Cardinal's legcheck knocked Tom
> Nolan
> out a month last year), was the classic driving of a defenseless player
> headforward into the boards.  Mowers remained motionless for 13
> minutes, with
> the frantic movements of the medical staff reflecting growing concern.
> The
> concern was then hightened by the use of a metal backboard to carry
> Mowers
> off the ice.  Our section of the stands was certain that we had seen a
> serious neck injury, and its remarkeable that Mowers escaped with only a
> concussion.  (I lost my apetite for the game and left after the second
> period).  While I admit that such hits can and do take place more than
> we
> would like, the hit from behind only reinforced my notion that Maine's
> players reflect the attitude of their coach -- lacking discipline and
> sportsmanship.  We should bear that in mind when we discuss the
> question of
> what effect Walsh's "play it close to the line" approach has on college
> hockey.
>

> --

Does this comment mean that every hit from behind is deliberate?  Or
does it mean it's only deliberate when you dont like the opposing team
and coach?  I didnt see the hit so I dont know if it was deliberate or
not.  I do know this; Shawn Wlash would never want to see ANY player
injured deliberately or not.

John Duffill
An original Friend of Maine Hockey