ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Ed Sczerba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 14:05:13 EST
Having sat thru enough UNH games as a Maine faithful, I can attest that with
the fans I interface with, they have hated Walsh for a long time, ever since
he first sat behind the visiting bench in Snively. The Mowers injury Saturday
nite just fanned the flames they ( UNH fans ) hold so close to their short-
sidedness.
Last year UNH graduated Eric Bognecki who had the most penalty minutes of any
Wildcat, short of Jay Miller (who later went to the Bruins- remember him?)
Bogie's method of play was VERY physical: flying hits, shaving ice into the
goalie's face on a shot cover-up, stuff always bordering cheapness; UNH fans
always found his style amusing, and encouraged his play, to say the least.
(Heck it was being done to the other guy.)

Any of us Bear fans who were at the game witnessed a common crowd cheer, that
is done at every UNH game at least once, which is led by three blue & white
clowns, and it goes like this:

"BEAT HIM ....SMASH HIM.... BREAK HIS FACE....."     ( three times )

"BREAK OFF HIS ARM AND HIT HIM WITH THE BLOODY STUMP   ARRRGGGHHH!"

This chant was done in the third period, long after the hit on Mowers.
Walsh was severly heckled continuously throughout 15 silent minutes while
Mowers was being attended. Somehow one must try to think what makes up a UNH
fan, as what I have said here between the Bognecki agressive style of play
and the ironic 'cheering' ( if you call it that ) can't be ignored, nor
contested. This type of behavior is what I loath about a UNH fan which is
their solopsistic smuggness.

Bottom line, it is okay for it to happen, just not to a UNH guy.

The UNH fans around me were squelched when I asked them :
"..the overall record of Maine vs. UNH -----"
             followed by :
"How many National Titles does UNH have ?"

No answer was given, I guess it was too hard a question.....

r/
  Zerb