ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 14:05:44 -0500
I knew it wouldn't take long for the UNH faithful to start calling Maine
dirty after the situation with Mowers and Guite last night.  This thread on
the US College Hockey Online messageboard was brought to my attention.
Check out this URL for the whole thread:

http://www.uscollegehockey.com/messboard/messages/message45.html

You are welcome to respond to the me-hockey list, but please also send it
to the individual and/or the US College Hockey Online messageboard as well.

If you don't have a Web browser, here is the message that got this started

John B ([log in to unmask])
Rochester NH USA, Sun Nov 30 08:36:29 CST 1997

Maine once again has proven they are hardly a contender as UNH
tromped them in a 7-0 shutout... Naturally a coach who doesn't
follow rules teaches players not to follow them and Ben Guite
of Maine proved this beyond a doubt last evening. Mark Mowers
was carried off the ice on a stretcher barely conscious after
Guite performed a dirty and vicious check from behind to the
head of Mowers once the game was out of hand... Getting chippy
is one thing but taking a shot that is likely to cause serious
injury (and did) to another player out of frustration is a disgrace
to the sport! Guite received a 5 minute major and game misconduct
but Hockey East and the NCAA should certainly step in and
suspend him for several games over this one! The good news is
Mowers was released from the hospital with a concussion and
having run into one of the coaches after the game I was told he
stopped by the locker room with his family after the game and
x-rays had been negative!!!! Maine fans should once again be ashamed
of their unsportsmanlike and disgraceful player. Maine stands
again as a blemish on College Hockey and a pretty lousy playing
one at that.

Now some responses:

Response 2
Keith ()
Rochester NH USA, Sun Nov 30 09:55:59 CST 1997

As far as I'm concerned, Maine coach Shawn Walsh had something to do with
that vicious hit to
Mowers. It just goes to show how dirty and rotten Walsh really is. He has
no respect whatsoever for any
team he plays and proved last night that he can't stand to watch his team
get beat badly. So what does he
do, he sends one of his players out to intentionally injure Mark Mowers.
Not only should the Maine
player be suspended for several games, Coach Shawn Walsh should be fined
and suspended by the
league for many games. As far as I'm concerned, Walsh should be removed
from coaching for good, that
cheap you know what.

Response 3
John B ([log in to unmask])
Rochester NH USA, Sun Nov 30 12:04:14 CST 1997

Note my initial post does not say Guite intended to injure nor
do I think Walsh sent him to make that cheap shot like Keith
has ludicrously suggested... What I do believe is that cheap
shots are called that because it's likely they will injure and
it did exactly that. Whether Ben intended to injure or not is
irrelevant but the fact he lost his head and made a hit that
severe due to his lack of discipline is relevant. Severe penalties
should come down for that as we're lucky not to have another
Travis Roy incident (albeit Travis' hit was a clean one)after
Guite's hit. Mowers is a lucky boy this morning to have only
suffered a concussion!!!! Guite is a product of a man by the
name of Shawn Walsh who's only mission is to win and rules are
simply a hindrance to Walsh who has no regard or respect for them!
He never accepted responsibility in his NCAA violations and you
can bet that he won't even admit Guite's hit was cheap. (In fact
he was arguing the ref's major penalty and misconduct call and then
going over the play chart while Mowers lay unconscious on the
ice). Players learn from their coach and Walsh has taught his
players to play the game without regard for anything but winning.
As a result when they get their butts handed to them they lash
out in frustration against an opposing star who just put two
goals in their net.... Walsh is the root cause and Guite is but
a symptom of the problem... Walsh has no place in college hockey
and it's about time everyone take notice before a kid like Mowers
end's up paralyzed or permanently injured!!! If you can't win
with talent and sportsmanship than go elsewhere and perhaps
Maine fans should start letting the Maine hockey program know that
instead of blindly following their shameless leader and treating
him like a perfect god!

Response 4
Mike Machnik ([log in to unmask])
USA, Sun Nov 30 12:59:25 CST 1997

Keith and John,

You should both be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. The injury to
Mowers was unfortunate, but the way both of you have reacted is very
disturbing and I'm personally tired of seeing things like this -- and
in my opinion, you have both gone too far.

Maine is the least penalized team in Hockey East, and Guite is one
of the least penalized players on that team. Don't tell me that
Shawn Walsh tells his players to break the rules and is responsible
for the injury. I have talked to him enough times in my covering of
games for Merrimack radio to know that he is a fan of the game and
its great players, and he likes guys like Mowers -- he knows they are
what make the game great.

It is unfortunate that the play happened, but whereas Guite likely
just made a bad split second decision and would like to have it to do over,
both of you have had time to think about it before making the baseless
accusations you have made. That is inexcuseable.

If you have evidence that Shawn Walsh encouraged Guite to make this hit
or that he has ever done this even once in the past, provide it now, or
retract your comments.

I understand people not liking Walsh for some of the things that have
happened in the past, and I have taken issue with him in some instances.
But to accuse him or any other college coach of encouraging the injury
of an opposing player is a very serious matter. Especially when you
do not have any evidence to support that claim.