ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dave Wollstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 19:27:20 -0500
Tom, please recognize that Greg Ambrose is saying (a) that Shawn Walsh
"knowingly violated NCAA rules and then attempted to cover them up," and that
this behavior was endorsed by the University of Maine.

This is pretty serious stuff. I've read both the University of Maine's
self-investigation and the NCAA report; both of them list a large number of
violations, mostly of the small-change variety, but they also say that the
violations were largely unintentional and grew out of the university's
failure to institute adequate compliance procedures. Neither the self-report
nor the NCAA investigation concluded that Walsh was guilty of a cover-up.

At issue here is whether the University of Maine was denied the opportunity
to compete in the NCAA tournament for two consecutive seasons because of
serious mistakes that we are trying (successfully, so far as I can tell) to
remedy, or because of moral terpitude. Greg Ambrose accuses us of the latter,
and that deserves a very, very strong response.

The NCAA sanctions--indeed, this entire controversy--has not been fun. It has
been a very painful experience that took much of the joy out of hockey for me
and many other loyal Maine fans while it was in process. When Maine's final
appeal was denied, even though we didn't get the relief we had hoped for,
most of us were relieved, because the ordeal had reached a conclusion.
Closure. And then along comes some twit like Greg Ambrose, quoting a
half-baked story by an unknowledgeable and not-very-competent Boston Globe
reporter, to spread the same old half-baked tales that were investigated--and
rejected--by the NCAA.

So sure, Tom, you have some postings that express strong opinions--because
people who are familiar with everything that went on in Orono know that the
University of Maine does not endorse wilful, intentional violations of NCAA
regulations, and did not do so in its handling of the NCAA sanctions
controversy. And we rightfully resent postings by people like Greg Ambrose
who apparently believe that any accusation can be made to stick, so long as
it is repeated often enough.

Greg, if you have evidence (evidence, not accusations) that Shawn Walsh knowin
gly violated NCAA regulations and attempted to cover up those violations,
please let us know. Otherwise, please try to contain your negative
enthusiams, or use appropriate modifying terminology, such as "It is my
belief that Shawn Walsh . . .", or "alleged violations."