ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Lindsay A Huntoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 18:58:54 -0500
I don't believe that coach's (or team's for that matter) problems with the
NCAA (or the school's handling of it) is a reason why enrollment would be
down at a University.  If that WAS the case, wouldn't enrollment be down at
other universities.  For example, I don't think that Steve Fisher being
fired as basketball coach will affect enrollment at the University of
Michigan.  I think that rising tuition is probably one of the greatest
factors in decreased enrollment.  Perhaps enrollment will start to INCREASE
as private schools become prohibitively expensive and people realize what a
great value an education at a school like Maine is for their money.

I'd also like to note my agreement with the following statement concerning
Coach Walsh  (which came from Cathy Hart's recent post):

  >I also see a marked decrease in the so called arrogance which gained
  >him many enemies, and an increased sensitivity toward the student
  >athletes in his program

I couldn't agree with this more.  I've been following Maine hockey for the
last ten years and have seen Coach Walsh at several post game functions.
When I had the opportunity to congratulate him on a victory; he would
always respond in a pleasant, but somewhat distant manner.

Last winter my friend and I had the opportunity to run into him before one
of the games that Maine played at Merrimack.  We walked by him and wished
him luck (he was talking to some other people), and indicated we were glad
that he was back behind the bench.  He smiled and said thanks; then about
five minutes later came over to us; asked us where we were from; and
thanked us for coming out to the game.  I remember remarking to my friend
that the conversation probably wouldn't have taken place three or four
years earlier.  I can't think of anyone I'd RATHER see behind the bench
than Shawn Walsh.

I agree with the people who feel that we should learn from our mistakes and
shouldn't dwell on the past.  Let's look to the future and a trip to the
Fleet in April.

GO BLUE

Lindsay A Huntoon