ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 06:49:08 -0400
So, like I said... why didn't Minnesota get more respect in the
blackbears.net poll?  :-)

Coming into the championship game the only thing I was concerned about from
a Minnesota perspective was goaltending.  Travis Weber came to play and did
a great job and it was nice to see him get named to the All-Tournament Team.

Some random thoughts as I read media about the game...

I chuckle when I read about people saying how UNH got over some mental hump
when they beat Cornell in the semifinals.  Please.  MAINE is their mental
hump.  They would not have lost 7-2 to anyone else last year.  But more than
that (and you saw it again Saturday night) UNH gives up.  Is it the coach or
the culture of the program?

In the 2002 semifinals when Maine got a couple quick goals they packed it
in.  When Minnesota went up 3-1 last night, UNH did not fight back they gave
up.  Minnesota could have scored more if not for Michael Ayers, who didn't
give up, despite his team collapsing around him.

Dave Hendrickson's article notes that they played highlights of the 1999
national championship between the first and second period.  :-)

"In the 1999 championship game I thought we outplayed Maine, but lost on the
bounce of a puck," said UNH coach Dick Umile. "Tonight, I think the better
team won. We tried to hang in there, but they did a good job and you've got
to give them credit."

"I can't really believe it," said Colin Hemingway, the one senior in the
locker room who appeared best able to speak through the sadness. "It's my
senior year. I'm done. I'm not ever going to play a collegiate game again. I
can't really believe it's over. It really hurts right now."

---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
http://www.blackbears.net