ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:56:30 -0400
STATEMENT FROM DR. SUZANNE TYLER
DIRECTOR OF INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS
UNIVERSITY OF MAINE

Coach Walsh has helped provide some of the most prideful and happy moments
for the University and State of Maine. His passing is certainly one of the
most disheartening moments in Black Bear history. Our thoughts and prayers
are with his family.

Shawn was one of the most skillful coaches I have ever known. His ability to
get the most out of his student-athletes is unsurpassed. Perhaps more
remarkable was how positive he approached everything in his life, including
his illness. Despite his great odds, his pain and the distress his
treatments caused, he maintained a sense of humor and an amazing drive to
regain his health.

To say he will be missed is an understatement. To say that he will be
replaced is not accurate. His commitment and loyalty to the University of
Maine was impressive. His loss leaves a tremendous void in UMaine athletics.

Much like Shawn might coach his student-athletes to overcome adversity, we
too must deal with this loss. Members of the team, staff, and department
staff are educated to the counseling that is available to them and they will
be reminded of it during this difficult time.

Again our thoughts and prayers are with all those who feel this loss.