ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 15:28:22 -0500
News of another recruit:

From the Salem (MA) Evening News, Friday 7/7

www.salemnews.com

He was one of the hot prospects, a 6-foot-4,
 195-pound hockey defenseman who was
 contacted by 31 different colleges. After he
 played particularly well at a showcase tournament
 in Walpole, there was a call from Bobby Orr's
 firm, Woolf Associates, wanting to know if Paul
 Lynch Jr. had a family adviser.

 The recruiting process for Lynch, who still has his
 senior year of high school left, became
 mind-boggling with endless phone calls and
 messages. That is, until the 18-year-old from
 Peabody decided to make a verbal commitment to
 the University of Maine.

 "It wasn't easy to make a decision in such a short
 period of time. Basically, I had the month of June
 to decide between Maine and Merrimack. But I
 knew from the moment I left (after his visit to
 Orono, Maine) that Maine was the right school for
 me," Lynch said yesterday.

 Black Bears' coach Shawn Walsh can't comment
 on Lynch's move until the All-New England
 Brooks School star signs a letter of intent in
 mid-November. But Maine had plenty of
 competition for Lynch's future services. He also
 had offers from Vermont, UMass-Amherst and
 Boston College. Lynch made five unofficial visits
 and said it was fascinating experience.

 He also had opportunities with most clubs in the
 United States Junior Hockey League, which
 covers the Midwest and prepares prospects for
 Division 1 colleges.

 "Coach Walsh told me to check out all the other
 schools. There was no pressure, really," Lynch
 said. "He didn't try and keep me from looking
 elsewhere. He encouraged me. He also said, 'If
 you want to play for a winner, then come here.'"

More in the article in the News

Dan Doucette

Maine Hockey - we win it all in odd-numbered years

Bill Gates should be sentenced to using a Macintosh
for the rest of his natural life.