ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:42:41 -0400
I must concur with Mr. Smith, I really don't get your point.  As someone
who has attended hundreds of college hockey games dating back to 1979, and
was a hockey broadcaster both at Maine (prior to Shawn) and for ten years
after at both the high school and college level, I don't know what the heck
you're talking about.

When you state

 "point was that if people only see Maine games either at Orono or away,
but fail to see other games... e.g. Merrimack at N.U.  then you do not see
Black Bearless games, and you do not see that college hockey can be played a
different way...take my word for it if you will... but the game is very
different when Maine is involved."

What is it you are trying to say.  If you're stating that we as Maine fans
don't care as much about the outcome, guess what, you're right.  But if
what you are implying is that Maine plays a different style than everyone
else and somehow Shawn has some undue influence on the officials, than I
most conclude that you are in need of psychiatric help.

I have been to, watched, and broadcast countless college games that did not
involve Maine and guess what, the object of the game is the same, you need
to score goals to win, the referee calls penalties, the coaches complain
and in the end it resembles any other college hockey game I've been to.

Now if you have some sort of hatred for Maine, then I can understand how
you would see Maine games as different from all others.  This can be best
described as the jealousy syndrome.  Might I suggest that you get it all
out of your system and find another list to badger, we have more important
things to discuss.

To change the topic:

I am of the belief that should Maine have a strong weekend this weekend and
then go on to win the Hockey East Tournament (admittedly a difficult feat,
but someones got to win), that Maine will be the #1 seed in the east and
not BU.

Also, the team that I fear most right now is BC, not BU or UNH.

Finally has anyone noticed the way assists have been dished out this year.
At the Lowell games two were attributed to almost every goal, including an
empty netter, a dump in by Maine that the Lowell goalie turned over after
Jim Leger pressured him, and a Lowell power play goal which was scored
after Peter Metcalf tried to clear the puck, the Lowell player reached up
dropped it in front of him and fired it past Yeats, yet two players from
Lowell were awarded with assists.  The refs truly are seeing a different
game.  Assists should be earned not awarded and I'm seeing to much of the
latter at games this year.

Here's to a big weekend against a PC team on the rise, honestly at this
point I'd rather play NU, than PC two weekends in a row.

See you at the Fleet, just tell me where the party is!

Bob Fitta '83

Bob Fitta
Advertising Account Manager
Harvard Magazine