ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
John Gabarra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 20:17:28 EST
Mr. Acheson:

I, too, am a referee (12 years at the youth level and 6 years at the high
school level) - I would suggest you get off the high horse. While I agree
that one shouldn't criticize until he/she has walked a mile in his shoes,
every fan is entitled to their opinion. It amazes me how many fans who have
seen the game for years still don't understand the mechanics of an icing
call, a delayed penalty or who holler every time a player from their team
gets knocked down away from the play. Education is the key here....if someone
ever questions why something happened within earshot, speak up!

I will not allow myself to get goaded into arguments over referee complaints
(Cathy knows this!!), but I feel I must respond. I have witnessed MANY
non-Maine college hockey games and I have seen the Parkers, Serinos,
Berensons, Masons, etc of the world act in ways you attribute solely to
Shawn. Sure, Shawn has a way of getting under your skin and I wish at times
he wouldn't bring such attention to himself especially with young kids in the
crowd, but you never see him get tossed (at least I can't remember him
getting the gate) - he knows how far to go.

You allude to a committee of coaches who "control" what kind of "crap" is
called early in the season and then not later.....this, in itself, is crap.
There is a rules committee which, at one time, was headed by Mr. Parker. This
committee, I believe, makes suggestions for rule changes to the NCAA - I'm
sure they consult with fellow coaches to get ideas to improve the game we
love. I believe they also have a say in what are to be considered "points of
emphasis" for the upcoming season - I am sure you are aware of this concept.
Those who control the Hockey East referees during the season reside in the
office of Brendan Shehee, not the coaches.

I am rambling here, but I have done some mentoring of rookie refs at the
youth level. Their reaction to reffing a game for the first time is always
the same "Wow, I am exhausted! I never realized there was so much to look at"
Sure, they are exhausted in a physical sense, but they are more tired from
having to concentrate on not only their proper positioning but also the
interpretation of the rules and the application of offsides, icing, etc. They
have to watch the whole ice rather than just following the puck as they do as
players.

Please don't make the claim that referees see the whole ice while fans don't-
based upon their relative positions, I would say that it is the other way
around. I have admitted to coaches many times that I just did not see what
they claim to have happened. I believe only a bullfrog and maybe some species
of owls can actually see behind themselves.

I've vented my spleen enough for now.

Regards,
John

GO MAINE!!!!!!

P.S. It is early in the second period and B.C. leads Northeastern 4-1