ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 11:30:08 -0400
My observations from being on hand Sunday-

-If Matt Yeats plays like that the rest of the way we'll be fine (Once we
start scoring some goals)

-Defensive effort was very good on both sides.  I can't remember the last
time I saw so few 2 on 1's and 3 on 2's.  Especially considering the sheet
of ice they were playing on.

-Thought Maine controlled the play territorially, but shots on goal tell a
different story.  UNH did a tremendous job of shutting down our power play,
and they did it in an interesting way.  Unlike at Alfond where they
pressured the player with the puck, who fed to the open man, they boxed
themselves very tight, and thus were able to block (10-15?) a number of
shots from the point.

-I enjoy Brendan's game and feel he is an ingredient required for any
succesful hockey team, but you can't retalitate when you're down a goal and
about to go on power play.

-Next 8 games are critical to a succesful post season, I expect no fewer
than 15 points.

-Glad I missed avowed Walsh-hater Sean Grande on the air, I taped the game
and when I got home just wanted to see how the covered the fracas at the
end.  There closing comments were that UNH was Great and Maine while they
played a good game (not nearly as good as UNH mind you) was in trouble.

-UNH student fans evidentally displayed true class in hurling the free
plastic Mugs handed out before the game at the Maine players as they exited.

Finally I am 0-4-2 in the 6 games I've been to this year.  If we lose or
tie the Friday night game at Lowell, for the good of the team I may not
return on Saturday!

Bob Fitta '83

Bob Fitta
Advertising Account Manager