ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
John W Duffill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:57:59 -0400
From ESPN.COM
The Canucks not only lost the game, but their second goalie in the span of

 two weeks when Kevin Weekes left the game 5:52 into the first period
 experiencing a "twinge in his right knee." With Garth Snow out with a
 fractured finger, Alfie Michaud made his NHL debut.

  Michaud, the Final Four MVP in the University of Maine's NCAA title
  win last spring, allowed a goal on his first shot on net, and finished
the
  game making 20 stops...... "We took our lumps tonight," said Crawford.
"I thought we hung in there
  for two periods, but when we needed to be real sharp and real good, we
  weren't at the start of the third period."

  As a precaution, Weekes did not return. He is listed as day to day and
  could be ready for action when the Canucks play host to Nashville on
  Saturday.

  "It's never a good time for an injury, but let's hope that it isn't
anything too
   serious," said Weekes, whose knee will be re-examined Friday.

   With Snow not expected back for at least another two weeks, and no
   other goalie with NHL experience in the Canucks system, club
    president-general manager Brian Burke is intensifying his search for
    another proven netminder.

    "I still want to get another guy in here even if (Weekes) is 100
percent,"
     Burke said.

John Duffill
An Original Friend of Maine Hockey