EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Tim Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:46:20 -0700
At 03:26 AM 26/09/01 -0700, Gavin Francis wrote:
> And people who still use Tex are still blockheads.

Actually, they're people who need to do serious math typesetting.
Quite a lot of them are Ph.D.'s.  And indeed, lots of Ph.D.'s
who have to typeset mathematics are blockheads, but not notably
more than any other segment of the population I would have
thought.  With TeX you could get the computer output that
looked *just like* the New Directions books.

A few years back I did some consulting for Springer-Verlag, the
big German technical publisher who are dominant in some areas
of physics and math.  They had a group of 10 people who did
nothing but build TeX macros to meet their special needs.  I
thought it would be most appropriate if this group wore cowls
and woke before dawn to hear the litany on bended knee on cold
stone, but they turned out to be quite ordinary people. -Tim