EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:57:45 -0800
Porphory writes of the "kentriadai", priests at Athens, who drove the ox to
the altar with goads (kentra) at the Dipolia which was an ancient festival
of Zeus Polieus at Athens. Polieus means "protector of the city". I believe
the ancient Samnites celebrated a similar ritual, but of course the periodic
sacrifice of the "bull of heaven" was common among ancient folk and survived
in the Mithraic religion and possibly to modern times in the Bull Fight.
    Curious though that Saul (Paul) is characterized as the "persecutor" of
the authority who once was the sacrifice himself. The gospel message, a
literal one, seems to be unconditional obedience to the salvation mechanism
or all the blood like the money is thereby devalued by an awareness of the
merely metaphorical nature of it all as if there is no "real presence" until
we see the blood or the money("bread" in hipster venacular).
    Someone please tell Mary that I made a pilgrimage to her father's home
in Hailey, and a friendly lady from the local library guided me to the Pound
house.

CDM