EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:18:43 -0800
Dirk,
    I recall having some of this same discussion before with the chimerical
En Lin Wei, but in this instance you must have misunderstood me. I quite
agree with you. I am a great admirer of the Tibetan Buddhists, and I agree
with you that "science and progress" have been used as an excuse to attack
this very spiritual and traditional society. To demand that people "believe
in" science is risible, but tragic when used as an excuse to persecute them
if they do not. However, this has nothing to do with Ezra Pound's choice of
Eastern philosophy (wherever his soul may now be serving its sentence) nor
can such treatment of Tibet be realistically traced to Confucius. Pound
simply showed favoritism for Kung and probably should have been more
tolerant and open toward Buddhism.
    The sect of Tibetan Buddhism which intrigues me the most is the Tantric
or vajra-yana because they connect through Sanskrit to the Indian Vedas and
the god Indra in particular who, as you know, used his famous cudgel, the
vajra, to dispatch or awaken ( whichever you prefer) the serpent Vritra who
enclosed and hoarded the waters of life. This is extremely relevant to the
mytho-poetic tradition of Indo-European poetics; and it is too bad that
Pound did not see to it more. He may also have benefited from reading Jessie
Weston's "From Ritual to Romance". Perhaps then, and I would agree with you,
there would have been less economics and Confucius and likely more poetry.
    I can recommend Calvert Watkin's book "How to Kill a Dragon: Aspects of
Indo-European Poetics", Oxford University Press 1995 as a most important
focused study on this subject. And while we have been discussing Evola he
has two ver good books on Buddhism, "The Yoga of Power: Tantra, Shakti, and
the Secret Way" and "The Doctrine of Awakening: The Attainment of
Self-mastery According to the Earliest Buddhist Texts"- both published by
Inner Traditions

CDM