EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 00:55:00 -0400
Bob,

Should I then say about _Mein Kampf_, "Well, he was a man, and
let's leave it at that," and go on to appreciate the esthetics
of the book's structure in isolation from all else?  Pound's
_Cantos_ are no _Mein Kampf_, though there have been critics
who've put it in the same category.  If you don't make "arcane"
distinctions regarding degree, kind, source, and intention
behind an author's dark prejudices, particularly as they affect
our reading of a text, then you cannot even begin to evaluate
an author's artistic or philosophical achievement.  I had a
professor of philosophy once who used to love Dostoyevsky but
threw out all his novels once he peeked inside his (antisemitic)
notebooks.  I think this is absurd, as you would too, but where
do you draw the line?

If we people on this list are modeling the real-world reaction
to Ezra Pound, we note how this damn topic inevitably arises
and how we simply cannot escape all the moral and esthetic
implications of the interplay between life and art.

But I agree with your (implied) interest in getting on to some
other topic.  Before I would do so, however:

As to Jonathan Gill, I appreciate your reply to my Talmud question.
Rather interesting that an early review of EP should have been on
the same page with a review of the Talmud.  I don't think EP could
have avoided reading it.  Was there anything in the review that
might have influenced EP?

==Dan Pearlman

At 11:57 PM 10/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>With great trepidation, I feel compelled to add to this important age-old
>discussion about Pound's anti-Semitism.  I'm not a scholar, but if
>justification is necessary I have adored Pound's poetry for twenty odd
>years, read it and read it again; and read as well the many biographies and
>exegeses on him and his work and his aesthetic/historic/linguistic influence
>on our century.  None of this reading has changed what remains - his poetry,
>and the perhaps unsurpassed beauty and enormity of his accomplishments in
>this century.
>
>But, again not as a scholar, and without the benefits that scholarly
>exchange can provide, I've read and studied, and read and studied again, the
>Old and New Testament, the Tao, I Ching, and other demonstrations of what we
>can accomplish.
>
>But at the end of the day, no careful analysis or archeological digging
>seems necessary or probative.  We're all inconsistent, and so was he, but
>there is enough in his writings for any studious junior high school student
>to know that he expressed anti-Semitic views, gave speeches in support of
>the Fascist regime, and this at a time when 8 million Jews, homosexuals,
>gypsies, and other impurities were gassed or shot in customized vans:
>genocide.
>
>A gay person, as we know, was barbarically killed in Wyoming this past week,
>because he was gay.  The fact is that he was murdered.  From what we know,
>he was murdered solely because he was gay.  Maybe, for someone, these
>murderers' psyches are relevant . . . to something.  But what I can't
>understand is the attempt to look for doctrinal, subtle explanations for
>Pound's anti-Semitism.  It was there.  I genuinely understand the
>intellectual drive to find some kind of more profound or historically
>significant explanation for this terrible flaw in his general attitude and
>understanding of Jews.  But it is an injustice, I believe, to Jews, as it
>is, ironically, to Pound, to look underneath the obvious.  We all know what
>he said; we all know what happened; we all can see in our hearts the
>barbarism of hating (or killing) people for what they believe.  What more is
>there to understand or analyze?  To paraphrase crudely, take him for what he
>was, a man.  In short, there's no subtlety here.  We are each free to draw
>our own conclusions; but why this attempt to proffer arcane explanations for
>what he said about Jews?  Hatred is hatred, now and then.  What more needs
>to be known or understood?

Dan Pearlman                    Office: Department of English
102 Blackstone Blvd. #5                 University of Rhode Island
Providence, RI 02906                    Kingston, RI 02881
Tel.: 401 453-3027                      Tel.: 401 874-4659
email: [log in to unmask]            Fax:  401 874-2580