EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:06:14 -0500
From:
Alphaville Books <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Dear Roxana Preda,

I know its been some months since our discussion of Pound and poets who
worked in the Pound tradition. At that time, after a cursory look you
characterized my work as being like that of a "shark". I simply took
this to mean that like a shark my work never sleeps/rests.

You were utterly correct. That work, Tale of the Tribe, was written to
purposely overwhelm the reader as 20th century man was overwhelmed by
events and their apocalyptic tinge.

But more to the point my work, up until my David Jones inspired
monologues, was written with the intention of utilizing techniques
derived form the Cantos. Those techniques include an attempt at a grand
melding of cultures and times, juxtaposition, citation, use of
historical and factual data and events, critically tackling disciplines
e.g. Pound/economics without fear of 'expert' censure, lyricism etc. all
of which are operable in Pound's and my work.

In my neck of the woods, we have a Poundian great chain of poetic being
that runs though Louis Zukofsky, Charles Olson, Robert Duncan, Mel
Tolson, Basil Bunting, David Jones, Ed Dorn, Peter Dale Scott, John
Matthias, Joe Brennan and myself, all of whom feature prominently in
FlashPoint magazine.

When my wife and I went to the National Archives to bring to light
heretofore unpublished Mel Tolson works, we confirmed that he
specifically wanted to out Poundian Pound and felt he could because of
his broader historical outlook. That's the kind of ambition we seek.

I would hazard that my work is more Poundian in the strictest sense than
any work done in the last 40 years.

Kind regards,
Carlo Parcelli
FlashPoint Magazine