EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:12:51 -0500
I posed to another list a question about the attitudes of 19th c. German
philologists towards Chinese, and thought you might be interested in this
reply about English attitudes towards the same:

<start>
... quoting from Minford and Lau, _Classical Chinese Literature_ (v. I, p.
3) (Columbia U.P.),

     "Now to give a Language the first or premier rank, as to succint
Sweetness, and graceful Brevity, is a great step towards the granting of it
to be the Primitive Language...we may from these Arguments almost dare to
affirm, that the Language of the Empire of China is the Primitive Language."
     John Webb, _An Historical Essay Endeavouring a Possibility That the
Language of the Empire of China is the Primitive Language_ 1669

     Boswell: "What do you say to the written character of their language?"
     Johnson: "Sir, they have not an alphabet. They have not been able to
form what all other nations have formed."
     Boswell: "There is more learning in their language than in any other
from the immense number of their characters."
     Johnson: "It is only more difficult from its rudeness, as there is
more labour in hewing down a tree with a stone than with an axe."
     Boswell, _Life of Johnson_, 1791

</end>

Tim Romano