From:
"Tomaras,Deborah" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tomaras,Deborah
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2015 17:24:10 +0000
Ms. Bastien:

I agree that people should be able to disagree with others; we do have freedom of expression etc. in this country for a reason.

However, the issue at hand is not one of mere intellectual argument. It concerns the actual treatment of others in the public sphere (particularly by corporations and/or their representatives), as has been pointed out by others. Once there are actions, especially if they are actions that lead to the unequal treatment of certain groups of people, it is perfectly appropriate to label them as bigotry, and call for their removal. Actions taken by businesses to deny people services are not in keeping with a philosophy of treating everyone with dignity and respect.

Deborah Tomaras
Library Cataloger
South Portland Public Library
482 Broadway
South Portland, ME 04106
207-767-7660 x6

The views expressed in this email are my own, and not necessarily representative of South Portland or the South Portland Public Library