From:
"Tomaras,Deborah" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tomaras,Deborah
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2015 16:52:54 +0000
I agree with Wendy, as well.

I doubt that many people would currently defend the "freedom" of a business to refuse to serve at inter-racial weddings, or African-American weddings. Or at wedding of the Irish, or Japanese-Americans, or Jews, or many other groups that have been discriminated against in the public (and private) sphere throughout our country's history.

Interestingly, in the not-too-distant past religion was also used as part of the justification of the enslavement and later segregation of black people. I hope that this country can collectively move beyond the hiding of bigotry behind a more socially acceptable façade.

Deborah Tomaras
Library Cataloger
South Portland Public Library
482 Broadway
South Portland, ME 04106
207-767-7660 x6

The views expressed in this email are my own, and not necessarily representative of South Portland or the South Portland Public Library