We are currently accepting both internal and external applicants for two Part-Time (20 hrs.) Library Technical Assistant (LTA) positions at the Lending Services Desk at Walker Memorial Library.
All interested internal applicants must submit a letter and/or resume outlining their qualifications for the position and the reasons they wish to be considered. Requests for consideration should be submitted to Human Resources as soon as possible. Positions open until filled.
Apply via City of Westbrook Maine website: http://www.westbrookmaine.com/city-departments-boards-commissions/human-resources/employment/job-postings
POSITION: Library Technical Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Walker Memorial Library
REPORTS TO: Lending Services Librarian
DATE: Open until filled.
FLSA DESIGNATION: Non-exempt
UNION: Teamsters Local Union No. 340
Salary: $15.14 to $20.86
Date: Open until filled
As a member of the Walker Library staff, the person in this position provides excellent customer service while adhering to established library and city policies and procedures. This position is responsible for the performance of tasks at the circulation desk as assigned, including customer database maintenance. Work is performed under general supervision of the Head of Lending Services.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities (Illustrative Only)
* Checks in and out all circulating materials utilizing library management software, with accuracy and efficiency, while maintaining customer privacy.
* Assists customers (on phone, in person and online) with material requests and reader's advisory. Refers questions to appropriate service areas, i.e. Children's, Information, Technology or Local History.
* Assists public with Self-Checkouts and Self-Service Holds.
* Processes incoming and outgoing materials for Interlibrary Loan Statewide Delivery System.
* Processes materials for the Self-service hold shelf.
* Assists with preparation of circulation notices and paging slips.
* Collects fees and overdue fines and other related monetary functions.
* Sends and receives faxes for the public.
* Maintains customer database and attendance statistics.
* Performs library opening and closing procedures.
* Minimizes customer wait times by processing customer transactions promptly.
* Works closely with Youth Services to maintain staffing levels on the first floor.
* Performs other related work as required.
Education, Training and Experience
* Graduate from college or equivalent experience that provides the necessary knowledge to do the job. One to three years of library experience is desirable. Additional training/education in related areas can be useful, i.e. knowledge of Millennium software and experience with the MINERVA Consortium a plus.
* Knowledge of books, viewing and listening materials in order to assist with providing reader's advisory. Experience with Reader's Advisory databases such as Novelist, a plus.
Requirements of Work
* Intermediate to advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office or Open Source products and internet use and/or must be capable of learning new computer software.
* Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills with the ability to resolve customer disputes in a calm, respectful and positive manner.
* Effective oral, written and online communication with the ability to establish and maintain friendly and effective working relationships with customers, officials, fellow employees, and other agencies.
* Ability to follow and carry out supervisory and system directives, while working independently; exhibiting solid organizational skills and attention to detail.
* Strong alpha numeric skills with accurate keyboarding and data entry skills.
* Solid cash handling skills.
* Ability and willingness to successfully complete all necessary training.
Physical and Mental Requirements
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Physical Demands: Duties are performed indoors in an office environment. Duties require extended periods of standing, walking, sitting, talking, or hearing and using hands to finger, handle or feel. Duties require occasional periods of climbing or balancing, pulling/pushing items, lifting/carrying items, keyboarding, reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling. Weights up to 50 pounds are encountered. Vision requirements include close vision and ability to adjust focus. Hazards are considered minor and controllable, but may include exposure to human error and angry/hostile humans. The noise level is usually moderate. Must be able to transport oneself to work-related meetings, workshops, conference, etc.
* Mental Demands: Duties require the ability to use written and oral communication skills; observe and interpret situations; read and interpret complex data, information and documents; analyze and solve complex problems; use math and mathematical reasoning at the algebraic level; perform highly detailed work under changing, intensive deadlines, on multiple concurrent tasks; work with constant interruptions; and interact with staff, officials, the public, and outside agencies and groups.
Walker Memorial Library
800 Main St
Westbrook ME 04092
[log in to unmask]