From:
Kristi Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kristi Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2014 12:02:31 -0500
Dear Linda,

Please feel free to share my comments with whomever you need to help the cause!

As a librarian who has worked many years in the library world, and who has seen radical changes in the available technology in our world and in our library, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of strong and equal Broadband access.

So many of today's daily activities revolve around the internet and technology. I will name just a few of the ways we use these resources at our library on a daily basis.
*  Providing access to computers, printers, wired internet and WiFi
* Giving job seekers resources and training to apply for gainful employment
*Allowing students access to computers and  internet to further their online learning means a more educated society and a better prepared workforce to compete in today's global economy
*Offering ways for people to work from wherever they are using the internet and mobile technologies
*Helping people with low or no technology skills learn how to use technology to improve their lives and bridge the digital divide
*Furnishing access to a growing collection of digital collections, such as the Maine Memory Network and the Digital Public Library of America (DPLA)
* and finally, securing professional development opportunities for library staff via webinars, videoconferencing and access to a growing collection of MOOCs.

Providing excellent customer service means having a backbone that is more than adequate.  Sufficient Broadband access with improved upload and download speeds that are consistent and reliable are essential in today's world.  If we are to carry out the mission of the library to help educate our communities, we must have an expansion on Broadband access.  As a librarian in a community that swells in the summer and can feel and see the squeeze on our community's  Broadband service, it is easy to envision what could happen if we do not keep up with the growing trend of using internet-based technologies for work, study, and daily life.  We must not allow that to happen.  As the gatekeepers, the innovators, and the service providers we must stay ahead of technology to allow our communities and our citizens to prosper.

Sincerely,

Kristi Bryant
Reference and Technology Librarian
Wells Public Library
Wells, Maine  04090
207-646-8181 ext. 205
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
web:  www.wellstown.org

"Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one."  Neil Gaiman