EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:50:00 -0800
If this discussion is still viable

See also "The Crisis of Global Capitalism" by George Soros and "The Death
of Money" by Joel Kurtzman. These are works by experts who have been to the
touchstone and back.
    Obviously Pound did not have the ultimate answer to the economic
enigma,and he probably didn't think so himself, but it is beginning to
appear that his analysis was not all that wrong either. Sensing that
something is wrong and having the answer are two different things entirely.
Furthermore there is nothing wrong with examining or suggesting
alternatives. Vested interests, however, may see it differently.
     The critics of negative-interest money or demurrage currency claim
that it encourages rapid and profligate dispersal of resources but as
Lietaer points out that "under our current system it makes sense to cut
down trees and put the money in the bank; the money in the bank will grow
faster than trees."(from the interview).

CDM