EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Garrick Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 02:34:27 EST
Fellow listmembers,

I have learned, off-line, that one of our members owns the EzraPound.com
address and is willing to let us use it to create our website. Wonderful
news, considering that EzraPound.com is the most obvious, logical name for
our endeavor.

Some preliminary problems to be discussed and resolved:

    1) Should this site be maintained under the aegis of a university? In
other words, would the website be better served by having an academic support
network (university webmaster and funding)? If the answer is no, then we must
discuss how this website will be constructed and maintained. We would need to
appoint someone to oversee its production, or have a select group willing to
supervise.

    2) Should the site have a (de facto) editor? Will we all have the ability
to write exactly what we want, or shall someone assign tasks (i.e.
contributions)? The presence of an editor is, under these circumstances,
absolutely necessary I believe. Articles will have to be given to someone to
be added to the site, since everyone cannot have access to the uploading
codes. That person will, of necessity, be the arbiter of what is redundant,
silly, or false. I do not mean by this that the website will have a single
editorial line or perspective, of course.

    3) A number of you have already mentioned various tasks which you would
like to perform. A scheme or plan for the overall content of the website
would need to be chosen before construction begins. Personally, I would like
to see the following contents in the website:

            1) complete bibliography
            2) extensive biography
            3) photo gallery
            4) complete texts online (copyrights permitting)
            5) concordance (@ Mr. Hishikawa's idea)
            6) e-text reproduction of The Cantos typographic eccentricities
                (@ Mr. Morse's idea if I'm not mistaken)
            7) real audio clips of Pound reading, etc.
            8) bibliography of important books/articles concerning Pound
                and related matters

    This list is by no means complete. Perhaps a section of the website could
be devoted to diverging opinions concerning Pound (opposing articles
addressing his antisemitism, fascism, alleged insanity, importance to English
and American poetry, etc.). This would allow all of us to present our
disagreements in an orderly and coherent fashion, while working together on
compiling the undisputed facts for the rest of the website. We do not, after
all, want 15 biographies (all partial in both senses of the word) on the
website; that serves no one's interest, particularly the uninitiated
reader's.
    In short, we can create the most comprehensive and enlightened  website
in the world devoted to a single author, provided that we are willing to work
together.

    Regards,

    Garrick Davis
    Contemporary Poetry Review