EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Roxana Preda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2014 22:51:15 +0000
EPS Information bulletin no.4/March 3, 2014:

 From Louiville to Rapallo ? from ?old? to new conferences

Dear Poundians,

I would like to use this bulletin to give an overview of conferences
in which the EPS is currently involved, either through panels or more
complex forms of organisation.

The Louisville conference at the end of February was brilliant ? my
only regret was that due to teaching duties, I could not be there from
the beginning. John Gery, Justin Kishbaugh and I had a very good
panel: people who were there kept returning to us afterwards to ask
questions and socialize. After the presentation, we three went to a
place downtown to have lunch; we could sit outdoors, it was sunny and
warm. We talked shop from start to finish, without shame or
embarrassment. I personally had a great time and hope John and Justin
did too.
Peter Nicholls gave the closing lecture: in case you are wondering, it
was about the fifth element. No, not Lilu from outer space but mud! It
dealt with the changing attitudes towards materiality and the body
from the symbolists to the 1950s. To someone like me who occasionally
teaches gothic and horror fiction, it was enlightening ? it did offer
a descriptive course of the slippery slope to our fin-de siècle
fascination with every form of abjection.

When I got back to Edi, it was raining and cold ? I was bitterly
reminded of how Stevenson got his tuberculosis! Ah, the sunshine!

No sooner was I back home than I started organising the panel
proposals for the Modernism Now! Conference of the British Association
of Modernist Studies in London. Please find them here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54395366/Modernism%20NOW%20Panel%20I.pdf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54395366/Modernism%20NOW%20Panel%20II.pdf

  Again a short reminder about the ALA conference and the two panels
that the EPS is presenting there in May: They were organised by
Demetres Tryphonopoulos and Robert Kibler. They are here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54395366/ALA%202014.pdf

Demetres might give you more information on the MLA 2015 panels in due course.

The great news for us I have saved for last: the EPS is going to
organise a joint conference on Pound and Eliot together with the T. S.
Eliot Society. The event is planned for the summer of 2016 and will
take place in Rapallo. It is a great chance for us all to be involved
in large-scale conference organising and meeting colleagues who,
though anchored in Eliot studies, have interest and curiosity about
EP. Michael Coyle, who is the President of the T.S. Eliot Society and
who initiated this event, has already contacted Massimo for local
organisation. The Eliotians of course know about this conference
already.
So keep in mind the time and place and let me know if you are
interested to attend and/or help me with the organisation. I?ll return
to you with details nearer the time.

We?ll post these announcements on the EPS site on Facebook as well.
Justin and I aim to make it a complete record of our initiatives and
activities. Please do visit it often, to know what?s going on.

With all my best,
Roxana

--
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.