EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 11:44:24 -0500
Timothy P Redman wrote:

> I fully agree with David Moody about the need to be precise when
> describing Pound's political program.  I suggest that those list
> members who have not read my _Ezra Pound and Italian Fascism_
> (Cambridge University Press, 1991) and who are interested in this
> subject might read that book, particularly its treatment of Pound's
> "left-wing fascism," a phrase meant to avoid facile presentations of
> Pound's politics.

That does sound interesting -- but the phrase might fit a large majority
of intellectuals attracted to various 'fascist' movements -- including
those Nazis who were eliminated in (? I don't recall for sure the name)
"The Night of the Long Knives. Whatever the motives of the initiators
and leaders (Mussolini, Hitler, Goering, etc etc etc) the mass following
(or a major element in that mass following) of 'fascist' movements were
responding to various sorts of populist rhetoric, and intellectuals
tended to be attracted either in the same way (I think this was Pound's
case) at a more sophisticated level _or_ were attracted by the appeal
some fascist movements at least seem to make to the idea of the
"authentic" ("lonely," "superior," "alienated in a sophisticated way")
individual. Consider Yeats's breathtakingly beautiful celebration of
killing for the hell of it (with the killing concealed under euphemisms
such as "guard") in "An Irish Airman Forsees His Death." The poem only
concentrates on the airman's lonely death -- but that is a death
achieved only by participating in a mass slaughter which even the airman
(Yeats) concedes or claims is pointless.

Carrol

P.S. Note I corrected the spelling in the subject line. Kerry and Kerrey
are two different politicians.