EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:13:13 -0400
"Government of the people, for the people, not by the people".

Wei,
If you'd like me to "flesh out"  this very lean simplification a bit, okay.
But I'd like to keep it simple, since my interest resides in where Pound's
views might fit in to this simple formula.

Of the people.  The people must accept the idea that some limits must be
imposed upon human action and social intercourse. Anyone cannot do anything
in the course of pursuing individual happiness. All things are not
expedient.

For the people. The purpose of the imposition of limits upon the people is
for the common good, to protect them from themselves and from each other,
from threats by other peoples and from other powers, and, above all, from
threats the state itself may pose to the people. All governments, of
whatever nature, even those which are "by the people",  tend towards a
State. and so are a threat to the liberty of the people.

By (or not by) the people. A people may accept to be ruled by an individual,
or by a group, or by some combination thereof. A people may or may not
choose the rulers they accept. Even in situations where rulers are chosen,
by popular election, government "by the people" is a matter of degree; if
every decision, great or small, were subject to a vote by all of the people,
rule "by the people"  would still be rule "by most of the people" since
unanimity is rare.  To the extent that a people is willing to accept the
rulings of an appointed judiciary (appointed and confirmed by rulers they
may have voted against) they are not purely self-governed. What, then, is
government "by the people" but a chimera?

Pound is, deep down, a moralist, not a political philosopher. He is
interested in the Culture of Justice and uninterested in Democracy as an
ideal in itself. His focus is on the moral force of immutable law, on the
perpetuation of the idea of the proportionally good act. He has no faith
that democracy is capable of passing the torch. What moralist has ever
believed in humankind?  Read the dantescan Ouang Siaopo passage again and
you'll see that its theme is Greed, and its M.O. is proportional goodness,
i.e. "just retribution".

Tim Romano